Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Starting Date – (date when the selected candidate is expected to start): 01-Nov-2019
Duration of Initial Contract: 50 working days
Expected Duration of Assignment: 50 working days
The Borno State Government plans to develop a 10-year Development as well as Implementation Plan 2020 – 2029. The goal of the Borno State Development Plan is to provide a long-term vision and policy direction for leap frogging the development of state in line the global Sustainable Development Goals, The Lake Chad Basin Commission Regional Aspirations and various Nigeria’s Sectoral Plans and Strategies.
The specific objectives of the planning exercise include:
- Provide a frame work for the rapid transition of the state through the Transition, Stabilization and Development Nexus
- Provide a Policy framework that will provide the road map for all humanitarian and development activities in the state.
- Set clear and measurable developmental goals with costed implementation plans for Borno State.
- Provide a roadmap for Borno state to get back on track towards achieving the SDGs after the setback caused by the insurgency.
- Establish a clear agenda for Borno State Development as part of the Lake Chad Basin Commission agenda to stabilize the region.
The “Borno State Development and Implementation Plan 2020 – 2029” will be a participatory approach that will integrate economic, sectoral, spatial, social, institutional, environmental and fiscal strategies in order to support the optimal allocation of scarce resources between sectors and geographical areas, and across the population in a manner that provides sustainable growth, equity and the empowerment of the poor and marginalized. The process will have strong and purposeful political leadership and stakeholder engagement oriented towards promoting economic recovery, peaceful coexistence, inclusive growth and sustainable decentralized development.
- To support the planning exercise of Borno State, UNDP is recruiting a Strategy & Program Design Consultant to provide technical support to development of the 10-year plan. The consultant will support the effort, by developing strategic program delivery frameworks and technical support; drive the achievement of all Project Management and Coordination Strategic Goals and Objectives for the successful delivery of the plan, designing strategic interventions within systems to create change, framing new cross-sectoral organizational design principles for successful engagement with complex, SDG-related issues, mobilize teams, communities, and resources toward a more effective way of working.
- S/he will provide support to the Borno State Planning project steering committee, programme team and government counterparts that promote inclusive development, including the integration of National and Subnational Plans and the SDGs into the plan and activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Strategy & Programme Design Consultant will closely work with Borno State Government to develop project design and implementation strategies, support critical path analysis and alignment of programs. To provide hand holding and technical support to the planning exercise steering committee and other working groups, which include:
- Support and facilitate dialogue on sustainable development issues, within the context of the plan development, with government officials, development partners, civil society, and the private sector.
- Provide policy and programming advice and support for development planning and policy formulation at the national, sub-national and local levels.
- Support the identification and analysis of interventions that can impact multiple development goals and targets at the same time.
- Support monitoring and reporting of progress related to SDGs and other national development frameworks, including to help strengthen national and local level data collection and statistical capacity.
- Assess quality of deliverables in line with the following characteristics, Usability (understandable, implementable). Fit for purpose (Adequacy, accuracy, adherence to Project Wide guidelines). Sustainability.
- Ensure effective use of reporting mechanisms and provide technical advice; review technical reports and activities carried out by responsible parties.
The consultants’ technical support will focus on:
Context Analysis & Assessment:
- Comprehensive review of progress made by past administrations in the context of development and work to define the structure of the plan.
Scenario Planning and Plan Definition:
- Working to define strategic vision, goals and objectives of the plan with sector specific indicators
Development of 3-year Development Cycle Framework:
- Define short, intermediate and long-term programme cycles, each with its own objectives, aligning to Governors agenda.
- Prioritize and sequence programme proposals accordingly.
- Review proposed needs, programmes and projects to ensure strategic goals can be achieved, identifying, leveraging and leapfrogging opportunities.
- A short-term development cycle resource plan will be developed across prioritized sectors.
Development of Short-Term Year 2020 Development Plan:
- Extract immediate high priority plans for immediate implementation with corresponding implementation plan, indicative budget, results frameworks, communications and M&E plans.
Development of 10-year plan:
- Based on programme cycle framework, develop the 10-year plan for Borno state with corresponding implementation, indicative budgeting, results frameworks, communications and M&E Plans.
- Inputs for Foresight Framework
- Consolidated Sector Situation Analyses
- Draft Framework for Project Development/Design methodologies
- Finalized Project Development Section of Visionary/Scenario Plans
- Project Development Cycle Framework
- Draft section of Project Development of 10-Year Plan
- Project Development Section of 10-Year Final Reviewed Plan.
- Project Development Section of Short-Term Plan (2020- 2022).
- Project Development Section of Year 2020 Plan Draft.
- Project Development Section of Year 2020 Final Reviewed Plan.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in International Affairs, Politics, Economics, Public/Business Administration, Data Management, and other Social Science or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant professional work experience in international development at national and international levels.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the on-going emerging policy issues in the areas surrounding development.
- Strong knowledge and background in economic recovery and development in Nigeria.
- Experience in designing, monitoring and evaluating development projects is an asset.
- Experience working with the MDGs or SDGs at the national level.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and experience in working with a wide range of individuals in government, private sector and civil society.
- Experience in preparing high quality policy briefs and guidance notes for use by senior policy makers.
- Experience working on Results Based Management, including effective planning, monitoring and reporting of results essential.
- Experience in delivering and facilitating innovative approaches and solutions to development programming would be an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and written and oral communication skills.
- Strong ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Experience of working with the government counterparts, national or international financial institutions, private sector/ civil society in the field of economic and social development in Nigeria.
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English
Application Closing Date
23rd October, 2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online