- Ajax, Chelsea and Valencia are tied on seven points in Group H. So why is it that Ajax are top?In the Champions League, teams who are level on points are separated by head-to-head record. Chelsea have beaten and drawn with Ajax, but are not top because when three teams are level on points it becomes a head-to-head between all three sides involved.
- These are the results between the teams so far…
- Chelsea 0-1 ValenciaValencia 0-3 AjaxAjax 0-1 ChelseaChelsea 4-4 AjaxWhich equates to this:Ajax P 3, Pts 4, For 7, Against 5, GD 2Chelsea P 3, Pts 4, For 5, Against 5, GD 0Valencia P 2, Pts 3, For 1 Against 3, GD -2Article Reactions
- Posted at 23:2823:28’What a spectacle!’Chelsea 4-4 AjaxChelseaGetty ImagesCopyright: Getty ImagesChelsea boss Frank Lampard on BT: “I can’t explain the game. For all the things we might analyse back, the madness of the game, we are here for entertainment I suppose and anyone who watched that has to say what a game of football. Respect to Ajax, what a spectacle.”I don’t think I have been in a game like it. The two own goals were the story of the first half. I said at half time it will be 3-3 or 4-4, we were so in the game.”We looked dangerous and I felt we would build momentum. I am not happy overall, this is the Champions League and we made too many mistakes.
- “The biggest pleasure is the spririt the whole stadium showed. I can’t give you much on the red cards, I didn’t really see what they were for.”At half time I would have taken a draw for sure. Let’s take it as what it was. I was expecting somewhere towards 10 minutes of added time, not sure where four came from.”
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp to BT Sport: “We didn’t finish our situations in the way we could have done. We had a lot of shots and some really big chances that we usually use. We didn’t do that and it kept the game open. That gave them a lot of energy.
“It was a good goal from them. It kept them alive. In the end, if we only score one and they score one it’s a lot of effort. Ox [Oxlade-Chamberlain] got that wonderful goal but again, we don’t finish the situation. The players came through but you saw after a while it gets hard to get that rhythm and at the end of the game it was not there. We got a little bit of trouble but not really. It was job done.
“All the goals we have conceded have been completely different. These things we can summarise so it’s not about defending but about being 100% spot on in these situatuions. We know that and we need to work on that.
“We were the clear favourites tonight. If we scored two or three in the first half nobody would have thought that couldn’t have happened. But it went 1-1 and then it got tricky. But now we are all good. Tomorrow will be a nice recovery day for everybody and then prepare for Manchester City.”
On the fixture build-up in the Carabao Cup and Club World Cup: “We will see. The final decision about the team line-ups has not been made. It’s not that we can play here and then there the next day. It’s not to be decided now. All the other alternatives were just no good for us. Now we have a little bit of time to think it.