We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following positions below:
1. Job Title: Quality Assurance Consultant – National Consultancy Assignment to Support Formulation of Borno State Development Plan
Location: Borno State, NIGERIA
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Duration of Initial Contract: 40 working days
Expected Duration of Assignment: 40 working days
Starting Date – (date when the selected candidate is expected to start): 01-Nov-2019
The Borno State Government plans to develop a 10-year Development as well as Implementation Plan 2020 – 2029. The goal of the Borno State Development Plan is to provide a long-term vision and policy direction for leap frogging the development of state in line the global Sustainable Development Goals, The Lake Chad Basin Commission Regional Aspirations and various Nigeria’s Sectoral Plans and Strategies.
The specific objectives of the planning exercise include:
- Provide a frame work for the rapid transition of the state through the Transition, Stabilization and Development Nexus
- Provide a Policy framework that will provide the road map for all humanitarian and development activities in the state.
- Set clear and measurable developmental goals with costed implementation plans for Borno State.
- Provide a roadmap for Borno state to get back on track towards achieving the SDGs after the setback caused by the insurgency.
- Establish a clear agenda for Borno State Development as part of the Lake Chad Basin Commission agenda to stabilize the region.
The “Borno State Development and Implementation Plan 2020 – 2029” will be a participatory approach that will integrate economic, sectoral, spatial, social, institutional, environmental and fiscal strategies in order to support the optimal allocation of scarce resources between sectors and geographical areas, and across the population in a manner that provides sustainable growth, equity and the empowerment of the poor and marginalized. The process will have strong and purposeful political leadership and stakeholder engagement oriented towards promoting economic recovery, peaceful coexistence, inclusive growth and sustainable decentralized development.
- To support the planning exercise of Borno State, UNDP is recruiting a Quality Assurance Consultant to provide technical support to development of the 10-year plan. The consultant will support the effort, providing analysis and policy advice to drive the achievement of all Project Management and Coordination Goals/Objectives and the successful delivery of the Plan and its frameworks as well as quality assuring performance reporting and confirming that results are evidence-based and supported by relevant data.
- S/he will provide support to the project steering committee, programme team and government counterparts that favour inclusive development, including the integration of National and Subnational Plans and the SDGs into the plan and activities.
- S/he is expected to contribute to knowledge generation through research and analysis, and work closely with the consulting team and technical working groups.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Quality Assurance Consultant will closely work with Borno State Government to develop project design and implementation strategies, support critical path analysis and alignment of programs. To provide hand holding and technical support to the planning exercise steering committee and other working groups, which include:
- Support and facilitate dialogue on sustainable development issues, within the context of the plan development, with government officials, development partners, civil society, and the private sector.
- Provide policy and programming advice and support for quality assurance and monitoring & evaluation for development planning and policy formulation at the national, sub-national and local levels.
- Support the identification and analysis of interventions that can impact multiple development goals and targets at the same time.
- Support monitoring and reporting of progress related to SDGs and other national development frameworks, including to help strengthen national and local level data collection and statistical capacity.
- Assess quality of deliverables of the development plan in line with the following characteristics, Usability (understandable, implementable). Fit for purpose (Adequacy, accuracy, adherence to Project Wide guidelines, PAD Specifications and standard programmatic approach). Sustainability.
- Ensure effective use of reporting mechanisms and provide technical advice; review technical reports and activities carried out by responsible parties.
The consultants’ technical support will focus on:
Context Analysis & Assessment:
- Comprehensive review of progress made by past administrations in the context of development and work to define the structure of the plan.
Scenario Planning and Plan Definition:
- Working to define strategic vision, goals and objectives of the plan with sector specific indicators
Development of 3-year Development Cycle Framework:
- Define short, intermediate and long-term programme cycles, each with its own objectives, aligning to Governors agenda.
- Prioritize and sequence programme proposals accordingly.
- Review proposed needs, programmes and projects to ensure strategic goals can be achieved, identifying, leveraging and leapfrogging opportunities.
- A short-term development cycle resource plan will be developed across prioritized sectors.
Development of Short-Term Year 2020 Development Plan:
- Extract immediate high priority plans for immediate implementation with corresponding implementation plan, indicative budget, results frameworks, communications and M&E plans.
Development of 10-year plan:
- Based on programme cycle framework, develop the 10-year plan for Borno state with corresponding implementation, indicative budgeting, results frameworks, communications and M&E Plans.
- Inputs for Foresight Framework on quality assurance
- Quality assurance framework for Sector Situation Analyses
- Draft quality assurance framework for Project Development/Design methodologies
- Finalized Quality Assurance Section of Visionary/Scenario Plans
- Finalized Quality Assurance Framework for Development Plans
- Draft section of Quality Assurance/M&E of 10-Year Plan
- Quality Assurance/M&E Section of 10-Year Final Reviewed Plan.
- Quality Assurance/M&ESection of Short-Term Plan (2020- 2022).
- Quality Assurance/M&E of Year 2020 Plan Draft.
- Quality Assurance/M&E Section of Year 2020 Final Reviewed Plan.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Development Studies, Business Administration, Monitoring and Evaluation, Social Sciences, Economics, Law, Engineering or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional work experience in international development at national and international levels.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the on-going emerging policy issues in the areas surrounding development.
- Strong knowledge and background in data management and evidence-based planning and reporting for economic recovery and development plan in Nigeria.
- Experience in designing, monitoring and evaluating development projects
- Experience working with the MDGs or SDGs at the national level.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and experience in working with a wide range of individuals in government, private sector and civil society.
- Experience in preparing high quality policy briefs and guidance notes for use by senior policy makers.
- Experience working on Results Based Management, including effective planning, monitoring and reporting of results essential.
- Experience in delivering and facilitating innovative approaches and solutions to development programming would be an advantage.
- Experience of working with UNDP, or another UN agency, with sound knowledge and experience in all aspects of the project cycle including M&E would be an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and written and oral communication skills.
- Strong ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Experience of working with the government counterparts, national or international financial institutions, private sector/ civil society in the field of economic and social development in Nigeria.
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English
Application Closing Date
23rd October, 2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online