Barcelona superstar has emerged top of Forbes’ list of the world’s highest-paid athletes for 2019.
Messi earned $127million this past year in wages and endorsements, $18 million more than second-place Cristiano Ronaldo, who pocketed a total of $109m.
Neymar was the third-highest on the list, having earned $105m this past year.
Messi saw his earnings increase by $16m over the past 12 months. The $111m he made in 2018 saw him finish second to Floyd Mayweather ($285m). Ronaldo ($108m) was third with Neymar ($90m) in fifth. Conor McGregor ($99m) had finished fourth.
Boxer Saul “Canelo” Alvarez was the highest-earning non-footballer on the 2019 list, with $94m in total.
Tennis player Roger Federer was the fifth highest-earner, at $93.4m. He was No. 1 in terms of endorsements, though, with $86m.
Top-10 highest-paid athletes of 2019
1. Lionel Messi, soccer: $127m
2. Cristiano Ronaldo, soccer: $109m
3. Neymar, soccer: $105m
4. Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, boxer: $94m
5. Roger Federer, tennis: $93.4m
6. Russell Wilson, football: $89.5m
7. Aaron Rodgers, football: $89.3m
8. LeBron James, basketball: $89m
9. Stephen Curry, basketball: $79.8m
10. Kevin Durant, basketball: $65.4m